So I’ve taken my love for yoga (which I’ve blogged about before) to a new level. My inspiration is a book I got for Chrstimas: The Yoga Face: Eliminate Wrinkles with the Ultimate Natural Facelift by Annelise Hagen. Of course, I didn’t get it to zap wrinkles, but to warm up my face for singing.
The author is a yoga instructor and teaches a class called Yoga Face at the New York Health and Raquet Club. See her class in action on this video clip from NBC Today. Her book is full of specific exercises for toning and relaxing the facial muscles. Many of them teach you how to isolate tiny muscles that we don’t usually activate alone, a skill singers can use for refining vocal technique and for building a wider range of facial expressions.
One of the things that sets this book apart is that it’s not entirely focused on the face. Unlike a lot of similar works, Yoga Face also includes basic exercises that are generally relaxing, including a lot of inverted poses and poses that free up the breath. This is ideal for singers, who can turn to it to warm up body, mind, and breath. Plus, the emphasis on basic postures makes the book accessible to beginners and advanced yogis alike.
If you’re interested in facial exercises, here’s a list of additional resources, including books, website, and YouTube clips.
- Charlotte Hamilton’s Fitface: The Guide to Fun Facial Toning Exercises (book) and www.youtube.com/user/Fitfacetoning
- Carole Maggio’s Facercise (book), www.facercise.com, and www.youtube.com/CaroleMaggio
- Marie-Véronique Nadeau’s The Yoga Facelift (book), www.marieveronique.net, and YouTube video
- Fernando Ratkoczy’s Stay Young with Facebuilding (DVD) and website
- Tal Reinert’s Facial Workout (DVD) and YouTube video